UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST, SIMI VALLEY
Approved by the membership on November 20, 1994
Our Church’s Experience of God
God Calls us into Covenant Community
- Our church is rooted in the Judeo-Christian tradition.
- For us, the Bible is a record of faith journeys to be taken seriously, but not always literally.
- Our church is challenged and inspired by the teachings of Jesus.
- We engage together in spiritual journeys, pilgrimages, and processes.
- Our church practices an affirming faith rather than one based on guilt and/or fear.
- Our church seeks to be multicultural, respecting and learning from traditions which differ from our own.
- Our church aids people in discovering and developing spiritual resources for living an abundant life.
Our Church and Social Justice
We Affirm the Inherent Worth of All Creation
- Our church welcomes people without regard to doctrinal beliefs, race, nationality, ability, economic status, sex, age, or sexual orientation.
- Church members manifest love, support, and connectedness to each other and all creation.
- Our church respects diversity and differences of opinion.
- We encourage people to engage both intellect and emotions in the expression of their faith.
- Our ministry affirms ecumenical and secular partnerships.
Our Church and Its Life
We are Called to Protect and Heal God’s World
- Our church is committed to the stewardship of God’s creation.
- Our church affirms basic human rights, and encourages involvement on behalf of those whose rights are threatened.
- Our church provides forums for the exploration of ideas, especially, but not limited to, the pursuit of justice and peace.
- Our church is a center of outreach to the community.
- We acknowledge that we are all in need of forgiveness, understanding, patience, learning, and spiritual guidance.
- God has yet more light to be revealed to us.
“We covenant to worship God; to live the good news of God’s love as revealed in the life and teachings of Jesus; to gather in faithful community to seek righteousness, justice, and peace, and to render loving service to all of God’s creation.”